Are you looking for Bible verses to help you deal with worry, or stress in your life?
Which is it?
Worry about paying bills, landing a job, a romantic breakup, or other important life events
Constant and unsubstantiated worry that causes significant distress and interferes with daily life
Embarrassment or self-consciousness in an uncomfortable or awkward social situation
Avoid social situations for fear of being judged, embarrassed, or humiliated
A case of nerves or sweating before a big test, business presentation, stage performance, or other significant event
Seemingly out-of-the-blue panic attacks and preoccupation with the fear of having another one
Realistic fear of a dangerous object, place, or situation
Irrational fear or avoidance of an object, place, or situation that poses little or no threat of danger
Anxiety, sadness, or difficulty sleeping immediately after a traumatic event
Recurring nightmares, flashbacks, or emotional numbing related to a traumatic event that occurred several months or years ago.
The above diagram explains the difference between everyday anxiety (or worry) and an anxiety disorder. The diagram is from the Anxiety and Depression Association of America. A disorder is a kind of sickness.
We’d like to start by saying that an ‘anxiety disorder’ is not the same as everyday anxiety or worry and should be treated differently. We are not therapists or doctors and we would advise anyone that suffers from an anxiety disorder to seek professional help.
However, it is in our human nature that we can often become easily stressed and worried and scared about things. Have you ever had that empty feeling in the pit of your stomach? That ugly feeling of seeing a hopeless situation and just not knowing what is going to happen? And to experience the helplessness that often goes along with it?
The greatest power in the universe
The truth is that you have the greatest power in the universe on your side. You have the Almighty God, the Creator of the ends of the earth, holding you in the palm of His hand! The truth is that when you believe that, there is never anything to worry about. He will protect you and use everything that happens to you to be for your best. These Bible verses show that:
1. “The Lord keeps watch over you; the Lord protects you; he stands right beside you.” Psalm 121:5 (FBV).
2. “The Lord is on my side; I will not fear.” Psalm 118:6.
3. “Even if I go through the deepest darkness, I will not be afraid, LORD, for you are with me. Your shepherd's rod and staff protect me.” Psalm 23:4 (GNB).
4. “I’ve commanded you to be brave and strong, haven’t I? Don’t be alarmed or terrified, because the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9 (CEB).
5. “Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father’s will. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.” Matthew 10:29-31.
6. “With your own eyes you saw my body being formed. Even before I was born, you had written in your book everything about me. Your thoughts are far beyond my understanding, much more than I could ever imagine!” Psalm 139:16-17 (CVB).
It can be hard to believe all this because you don’t see God and His strength with your natural eyes. But:
7. “Faith makes us sure of what we hope for and gives us proof of what we cannot see.” Hebrews 11:1 (CEV).
Put your trust in the Lord
He cares for you. He loves you. And He wants the very best for you. Believing that will be a weapon against worry itself.
8. “Can any of you live a bit longer by worrying about it?” Matthew 6:27 (GNT).
So put your trust in the Lord and rest in faith that He is always with you and that He will never allow anything to happen to you that you can’t bear. And that which He does allow to happen to you, He allows so that you can change and grow up to be like Christ through it.
9. “Their purpose is to prove that your faith is genuine. Even gold, which can be destroyed, is tested by fire; and so your faith, which is much more precious than gold, must also be tested, so that it may endure. Then you will receive praise and glory and honour on the Day when Jesus Christ is revealed.” 1 Peter 1:7 (GNB).
10. “The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure.” 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NLT).
11. “With all your heart you must trust the LORD and not your own judgment.” Proverbs 3:5 (CEV).
12. “But Jesus looked at them and said to them, ‘With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.’” Matthew 19:26.
It takes a battle to get rest
There can be so many reasons why you can be tempted to worry. Money, family, school, political situations, relationships, illness, the “unknown,” and many others. Some situations can certainly look very hopeless, from a human point of view. But no matter how hopeless the situation looks, if you put your trust in the Lord, and go to Him – this is very important: cry out to Him, pour out your heart to Him, give your fears to Him – you can come to rest. Even though you have to battle for it.
13. “Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.” Philippians 4:6-8 (NLT).
14. “And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don’t know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words. And the Father who knows all hearts knows what the Spirit is saying, for the Spirit pleads for us believers in harmony with God’s own will. And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.” Romans 8:26-28 (NLT).
15. “… God cares for you, so turn all your worries over to him.” 1 Peter 5:7 (CEV).
16. “But those who trust the LORD will find new strength. They will be strong like eagles soaring upward on wings; they will walk and run without getting tired.” Isaiah 40:31 (CEV).
17. “For the Gentiles seek after all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first God’s Kingdom, and his righteousness; and all these things will be given to you as well.” Matthew 6:32-33 (WEB).
18. “God, you give true peace to people who depend on you, to those who trust in you.” Isaiah 26:3 (ERV).
19. “Come to me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take up my yoke and learn from me, because I am lowly and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30 (CSB).
Promises from the Lord
All of these Bible verses can be weapons to fight against worry and stress when you are tempted. Hold fast to these promises from the Lord and no situation will be able to get you out of rest, no matter how much you are tempted. Even if it takes a long time for the situation to be sorted out. Even if the earthly end result is not what you had hoped for.
20. “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” 2 Timothy 1:7.
21. “I know the plans I have in mind for you, declares the LORD; they are plans for peace, not disaster, to give you a future filled with hope.” Jeremiah 29:11 (CEB).
22. “So they would seek him, perhaps even reach out to him and find him. In fact, God isn’t far away from any of us.” Acts 17:27 (CEB).
23. “Your conduct must be free from the love of money and you must be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you and I will never abandon you.” Hebrews 13:5 (NET).
24. “A picture of your city is drawn on my hand. You are always in my thoughts!” Isaiah 49:16 (CEV).
25. “Everyone who trusts the Lord is like Mount Zion that cannot be shaken and will stand forever.” Psalm 125:1 (CEV).
26. “And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:19 (NLT).